I thought I would share with you a dish which my partner and I have been really enjoying recently. It is a dish which requires very little ingredients, very quick to make and is very light! It is perfect to make in bulk and great for those warmer days approaching. This meal celebrates chorizo and kidney beans, so if you love these ingredients you are guaranteed to love this! The chorizo adds a underline meaty flavour which brings the dish together and the kidney beans adds texture and bite to the dish.
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of tomato puree
- 1 handful of chorizo
- 1 can of kidney beans (washed)
- 1-2 cloves of garllic
- Mixed herbs
- Chilli powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon of ginger
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- White/ brown rice
- Olive oil
- You can dice up a white onion if you want to make the sauce a bit more filling.
- Dice up the onion (if you have chosen to add this to the dish), dice up the garlic and slice up the chorizo. Add less than a tablespoon of olive oil to a pan. Heat and then add the onion and/ or the chorizo.
- Add the tomato puree, spices and cook in the pan for about 3-5 minutes (until the chorizo begins to become oily).
- Wash the kidney beans.
- Add the chopped tomatoes
- Add the kidney beans to the mixture.
- Put the rice on to boil.
- Allow the mixture reduce. (This should take about 10-15 minutes depending on how thick you want the sauce).
- Drain the rice.
- Stir the bean chilli and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the chopped avocado and/or cheese on the top!
This dish is super easy and simple. There are 10 steps but honestly, it takes no more than 15 minutes to make and I always find I make too much, so there is plenty for the next day! What I really love about this dish is that I can make a very quick meal using fresh and unprocessed ingredients. Having this meal in my repertoire means that I am less inclined to indulge on rubbish. I always feel so good after eating this as I do not feel heavy and sluggish afterwards.