Now that I have had a little more time to spare, I have been enjoying getting back into cooking and experimenting with new recipes. This bowl of goodness is from Niomi Smart’s cookbook called ‘Eat Smart’. It requires very little ingredients (most are staples in my food cupboard) and takes no time at all to make! It is a vegan recipe, however, I added a sprinkling of cheese on top because I love it!
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp of coconut oil (I used olive oil instead)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 red pepper (I used half a green pepper)
- 6 mushrooms
- 60 ml of red wine or vegetable stock
- 1 tsp yeast extract ( I didn’t use any)
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tin of red kidney beans
- 1 bay leaf (I didn’t use any)
- thyme (I didn’t use any)
- chilli powder
- 150g quinoa (I used whole grain rice instead)
- half a vegetable stock cube (I didn’t add this)
- pink Himalayan salt or sea salt and freshly ground pepper (I used normal salt and pepper to season)
- Fry off the onions until softened and add the garlic
- Add the rest of the veg and the stock
- Add the spices and herbs, kidney beans, tomato puree and chopped tomatoes
- Bring to the boil until thickened
- Make your rice or add your quinoa to the mix and cook through.
- At the end, I added spinach.
- Serve (and add a sprinkling of cheese if you can’t resist like me) and dig in!
This was super easy to make and it is a great one if you’re running out of food supplies. Most importantly though, it is so healthy as it is packed with lots of wholesome and nutritious ingredients! I would definitely give this a try if you’re wanting to eat a little healthier this year!