It has been a while since I last posted, but don’t worry, I haven’t forgotten about you! As you all know, the Christmas holidays are very hectic, but, I managed to compile a few photos of dishes that I indulged on over the holiday season.
Firstly, in the week running up to Christmas, my dad’s girlfriend taught me how to make homemade sausage rolls. I know you have heard it all before, but, her sausage rolls are the best and it is always a firm favourite snack to munch on. I couldn’t believe how easy it was to make too! All you needed was puff pastry (either homemade or shop- bought… we used shop bought), an egg and sausage meat!
- Pre-heat oven to approximately 180 degrees
- Firstly, you flour the work surface and then laid the pastry flat. If you made the pastry from scratch, I would suggest rolling the pastry to about 0.5cm thick in a rectangular shape.
- Whisk the egg to form an egg wash and brush this over the entire pastry.
- Afterwards, coat your hands in flour and then start to mould your sausage meat into two oblong shapes. Make sure the filling is evenly distributed and the sausage meat reaches the length of the pastry base.
- Place the filling on the right and left side of the pastry leaving about a two centimetre gap from the edge.
- Make an incision through the middle of the pastry so you are left with two pieces of pastry and sausage meat.
- Carefully roll over one edge of the pastry covering the sausage meat and tuck the pastry under the meat so there is a flap of pastry left to continue the roll.
- Repeat the same process.
- Egg wash both rolls
- Make a small incision along the length of the sausage roll to allow the heat to escape whilst being baked and prevents a soggy-bottom! I found using scissors to make the incision worked really well!
- Then cut the long roll into smaller bite-size pieces.
- Place the pieces onto a baking tree lined with grease-proof paper.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes (it may need longer according to your oven). Your sausage rolls should be golden brown.
And there you have it! Easy, quick and affordable homemade sausage rolls which can be used as a snack or as a meal!